Ok, maybe I’m being a tad sensationalist. But the UN has no moral authority whatsoever. Extending Poe’s Law, the UN’s real dealings are hard to distinguish from a Catch-22-style parody thereof:
- In 2003, Iraq chaired the UN Conference on Disarmament (despite lack of WMDs Saddam did spend years gassing the Kurds in the marshes of the south).
- The same year, Libya was elected to chair the UN human rights commission.
- In 2007, the UN Human Rights council passed a blasphemy law, ruling against defamation of Islam, urging countries “to take resolute action to prohibit the dissemination of racist and xenophobic ideas and material aimed at any religion or its followers that constitute incitement and religious hatred”.
- The same council has made a ruling that bans discussion/criticism of Sharia law. See these appalling videos where those criticising female genital mutilation are shouted down because that constitutes prohibited criticism of Islamic law.
- The same council has only ever officially condemned Israel whilst only being “troubled” by Darfur.
- The UN has completely failed in Rwanda, Darfur and virtually every major conflict since its inception. Kofi has blood on his hands for much of his reign.
- Meanwhile in 1993 UN troops in Cambodia were sent 800,000 condoms so they can visit local brothels without getting STDs.
Ok, will stop there before the rant goes completely loony (and before cataloging these makes me completely sick). Some more rational arguments about the UN to follow — with 30% less mouthfrothing!