A quickie today. In the latest episode of the grand and fantabulous Atheist Experience, Russell and Jeff dissect the Argument from Game Design, as proposed on a forum of Christian gamers. It does something like this:
If you design a computer game, the only objective purpose/meaning to the game is the one that you designed it for
In general, the only valid purpose/meaning to an object is the one for which it was designed
THEREFORE this atheist talk about finding your own purpose in life is bull. If there is a God, the only “real” purpose to life is the one He designed it for.
This is a rarity — an actually new theistic argument. The hosts listed many arguments against this but I agree with it wholeheartedly. Of course the only real purpose for something is the one it was designed for! I mean…
- The real purpose for the internet is for uni and military mavens to share arcane knowledge at taxpayer expense
- The real purpose for our calendar is to mark which day Jesus was resurrected on
- The real purpose for an office paper cutter is to chop off heads
- The main purpose for modern publishing and book distribution is to replicate copies of the Book of Joshua
- The real purpose of chihuahuas is to help us hunt game
- The real purpose of numbers is to count the patriarch’s flocks
- The real purpose of universities is to create theologians
- And if you take evolution into account, the real purpose of humans (and all other multi-celled life) is to feed our hosts
And so forth. If you have any others, suggest away in the comments!