Donald Trump’s latest antics have reminded Geoff Pullum of LanguageLog about a great new word that should win Word of the Year. The word is assholocracy and is fairly self-explanatory. Take it away Geoff:
Even if we ignore the whole scandal of modern banking, and the rigged election in Russia, and all the scandals in Italy (by the man who The Economist dubbed “the man who screwed a whole country”), and all the disgusting behavior and political clout of of the Murdoch press empire, there is so much else. The contest for the Republican presidential nomination illustrates as well as any other arena.
Geoff is calling on people to spread the word as so far it has few internet mentions. And really, what better word can describe the absolutely staggering amount of idiocy, meanness and violently deliberate ignorance that we’ve seen throughout the political world in the last 12 months?
To agree with Pullum, there has been something special about the US where the idea of revelling in your own supervillainy has become quite fashionable. Here are a few examples of acts which aren’t just prickitude — they’re full-blown cases of assholocracy. Or attempted assholocracy.
- [BRIAN] WILLIAMS: Governor Perry, a question about Texas. Your state has executed 234 death row inmates, more than any other governor in modern times. Have you…
[APPLAUSE FROM CROWD]
- “A healthy, 30-year-old young man has a good job, makes a good living, but decides: You know what? I’m not going to spend 200 or 300 dollars a month for health insurance, because I’m healthy; I don’t need it,”? Blitzer said. “But you know, something terrible happens; all of a sudden, he needs it. Who’s going to pay for it, if he goes into a coma, for example? Who pays for that?
“That’s what freedom is all about: taking your own risks.,”? Paul said, repeating the standard libertarian view as some in the audience cheered.
“But congressman, are you saying that society should just let him die,”? Blitzer asked.
“Yeah,”? came the shout from the audience. That affirmative was repeated at least three times. [Source]
- “We don’t kill our people “¦ no government in the world kills its people, unless it’s led by a crazy person.” Assad’s chutzpah-drenched lie to Barbara Walters 
- “The outcome of the elections reflects the mood in Russia. Maybe there were some errors in several areas in Russia”¦ but that is not different than what happens in Israel in various Arab and Druze villages,” Avigdor Lieberman (Israel’s foreign minister) on the Russia “elections”.
- “It has become clear that if a person writes the expression ‘party of swindlers and thieves’ in their blog then they are a stupid sheep getting f****d in the mouth :)” — translation of tweet from President Medvedev (now taken down) about critics of the same election.
Assholocracy. Spread the word!